Launched in February 2010, Mercy Investment Services provides for the collective investment and professional management of the endowment and other investment funds of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and their sponsored ministries, while working for a just and sustainable world and embraces socially responsible investing as a means of promoting systemic change, with emphasis in the areas of nonviolence, racism, environment, concern for women, and immigration. Our multifaceted socially responsible investing program includes shareholder advocacy engagement with companies, proxy voting, portfolio screening and impact investing (both community and market-rate investments). More information is available at www.mercyinvestmentservices.org.
The Reporting and Research Manager is responsible for assisting the social responsibility program staff in research and analysis as well as managing shareholder advocacy engagement reporting. The Reporting and Research Manager is responsible for developing, maintaining and administering databases and document collection of shareholder advocacy initiatives; overseeing the company filings and communications according to federal regulatory requirements; research and compliance with exclusionary screens; and supporting internal and external communications.
- Develops a wide range of written materials that summarizes the shareholder advocacy team’s work in company engagements.
- Supports coordination and facilitation of the socially responsible investment program, including coordinating and reporting information for internal and external purposes.
- Develops and provides periodic reports of shareholder advocacy plan activities and trends to Mercy Investment Services, shareholder engagement partners and various stakeholders.
- Provides support for the Social Responsibility department’s governance processes, including preparation of reports, materials and minutes and effective use of Directors Desk.
- Serves as day-to-day liaison with research vendors, proxy voting vendor and financial institutions as it relates to shareholder filings.
- Develops, administers and oversees the shareholder advocacy database.
- Examines issues and trends on issues identified in shareholder advocacy program and, more generally, socially responsible investing (SRI) and ESG/sustainable investing, providing written reports and/or analyses.
- Coordinates and supports company resolution filings of partner organizations including working directly with their bank custodial managers.
- Oversees compliance of exclusionary screens by reviewing external vendor reports and researching specialty issues such as stem cell screening.
- Conducts day-to-day administration of the proxy voting program in conjunction with the proxy voting vendor, including periodic updates to proxy voting guidelines, audit of our vendor’s performance and voting trends.
- Supports communication of shareholder advocacy efforts to advance awareness of our social responsibility efforts and their outcomes including development of presentations.
- Maintains current understanding of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rules and regulations on filing of shareholder resolutions to ensure compliance and to proactively identify and report issues with company filings to management.
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with Mercy Investment Services’ policies and applicable laws.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Strong background in research and analysis including familiarity with internet research databases and research processes
- Five years of specialty writing and editing experience, with a preference to ESG/sustainability specialty
- Strong background in information management, internet and computer capabilities
- Effective writing, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to synthesize complex information and communicate it in understandable terms to various audiences
- Collaborative work style with an emphasis on support of team members
- Ability to work independently, taking initiative to proactively and responsibly identify and address issues
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to execute tasks in a timely manner
- Broad interest in the business and financial worlds
- Solid computer, software, and database skills with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Teams; Adobe Acrobat; Dropbox; Slack; QuickBase
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and knowledge of cultural differences
- Strong knowledge of SRI and ESG and/or social justice issues in a faith-based setting
- Understanding of shareholder advocacy legal processes and compliance with legal requirements
- Interest in the traditions and culture associated with the Sisters of Mercy and Catholic Church structures and teaching
Application Process: Mercy Investment Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, and salary requirements by Friday, August 27, 2021, to firstname.lastname@example.org.