In 2018, Mercy Investment Services joined the UN Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI), which commits investor signatories to integrate environmental, social and governance concerns into their investment decisions. More than 1,800 asset owners and asset managers recently attended PRI’s in-person gathering, which highlighted emerging issues and new initiatives. Highlights of the meeting included:
- an investor-led interview with Royal Dutch Shell CEO Ben van Beurden, on how investor engagement through Climate Action 100+ has contributed to the company’s recently announced net-zero emissions targets
- how investors are tackling mine safety issues with small and large companies following the 2019 tailings dam collapse in Brumadinho, Brazil
- upcoming changes to how PRI asks investors to report on their ESG integration activities and PRI’s plans to strengthen enforcement of its reporting requirements
- a preview of PRI’s new economic scenario report, “The Inevitable Policy Response,” which predicts key climate-related policies that are likely to be implemented before 2050, quantifies the impact of this response on the global economy and financial markets, and provides a business planning tool for investors, corporations and regulators.
- details of upcoming plans for the Climate Action 100+ initiative.